Software Defined Digital Camera Market Forecast
Software is eating the camera market
The digital camera market is ripe for disruption. Smartphones and tablets are already decimating sales of point-and-shoot cameras. Mobile photography is increasingly reaching out into what used to be exclusively professional photography domain. There is a major paradigm shift going on in digital camera market – operating systems of smartphones and tablets convert them into powerful imaging systems enhanced even more by connectivity and ever growing base of photo/video apps. Market disruption is coming from two directions:
- OS-powered dedicated photography device with Software Development Kit (SDK) available to third party developers and allows building wide range of applications
- A dedicated computational photography device acquiring image through a multitude of micro lenses and processing multiple inputs into a high quality high resolution image. Currently the best examples to illustrate the concept are the Light L16 camera and the Nokia 9 PureView pentalens camera.
At the CP+2019, camera and photo imaging show in Yokohama, two companies have demonstrated Android based camera solutions:
- Yongnuo YN450 4G mirrorless interchangeable lens Android-based camera with Micro Four Thirds sensor and EF mount;
- Zeiss ZX1, the full-frame Android camera with fixed 35mm f/2 lens.
The budget DSLR market is disappearing, Canon and Nikon revenues are down despite frantic attempts to reverse the trend and the digital camera market is poised for more pain. Traditional camera manufacturers have neglected computational photography for too long. The latest models of iPhone 11 and Google Pixel 4 are pushing boundaries of mobile photography further into the realm of Interchangeable lens cameras (ILC).
There are many reasons for Software Defined Digital Camera Concept to re-shape drastically the current market landscape.
The report forecasts that by 2024 the interchangeable lens OS-powered mobile-enabled software defined digital devices will capture two-digit market share of the interchangeable lens camera (DSLR & mirrorless) market. Emergence of software-defined devices will have devastating effect on the proprietary interchangeable lens camera market, most likely cutting a wide swath of the camera market. The proprietary interchangeable lens camera market is estimated to lose about $11 Billion of revenues (in retail terms) in the period 2019-2024.
Disclaimer: the picture above is only the mockup illustrating the concept with use of off-the-shelf elements, it bears no connection whatsoever to any products, companies or brands.
What are market drivers for emergence of Software Defined Digital Camera market?
- Availability of open-source/proprietary operating systems, SDK tools and apps turn white-box hardware into Software Defined Digital Camera;
- Availability of open-source OS, SDK tools and apps lowers barriers for OEM manufacturers to enter into new markets;
- End user gets freedom to define and set up a custom imaging system supporting wide range of legacy lenses;
- A wide range of apps is available for end user, most of them free;
- Benefits of connectivity and sharing.
The report covers key concepts and developments in software defined & mobile enabled digital camera market, major implementations, products, technologies and services associated with this market and it impact on existing ecosystem. The report analyzes impact of software defined digital camera technologies on existing market landscape.
The report provides forecasts for the following software defined digital camera market segments:
- Fixed lens camera;
- Interchangeable lens camera (by four retail price tiers);
- Computational photography device.
The report estimates impact of mobile-enabled software defined digital camera on the following photo app ecosystem segments:
- Lens mount specific apps
- Image acquisition apps (focus & exposure)
- Post processing apps
- Connectivity, storage, sharing & publishing apps
Companies and brands mentioned in the report: Amazon, Apple, Blackmagic, Canon, Fujifilm, Google, GoPro, Light, Lytro, Microsoft, NiKon, Olympus, Pelican Imaging, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina.
Table of Contents
1. Market Report Scope & Methodology
1.2. Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
2.1. Software Defined Digital Camera Concept
2.2. What are market drivers for emergence of Software Defined Digital Camera market?
2.3. Implementations of the Software Defined Digital Camera
2.3.1. Fixed lens camera: OS-powered device with fixed zoom lens plus app
2.3.2. Interchangeable lens camera: OS-powered device with adapter flange plus app plus legacy lens
2.3.3. Computational photography device
2.4. Software Defined Digital Camera Market Landscape
2.4.1. Operating Systems
2.4.2. Market Participants
3. Software Defined Digital Camera Market in Numbers
List of Figures
Fig. 1- The Concept: Lens Meets Smartphone
List of Tables
Table 1 – Interchangeable lens camera: OS-powered device with adapter flange, Market Forecast 2019-2024, Shipments in Thousands of Units
Table 2 – Computational Photography Device* Market Forecast 2019-2024, Shipments in Thousands of Units
Table 3 – Investments in Computational Photography Device R&D 2019-2024, $Mln
Table 4 – Impact of Mobile-Enabled Software Defined Digital Camera on App Market 2019-2024, $Mln 13
Table 5 – Combined Market Impact of Software Defined Devices on Proprietary Interchangeable Lens Camera Market 2019-2024, Loss of revenues in retail terms $Mln